Phase 4- Logo design concept
Updated: May 5, 2019
In order to focus in on the child's interest I looked at the logos used in popular video games to inform the a concept for our games logo. These used broader typefaces with lots of layers of colour to add depth which is a contrast of the flat style of MinaLima. These typefaces were also sans-serif and featured varying accents to note the feel of their game. I then went on to experimented simply with our games name 'Family Magic' (*working title*) in various accented serif & sans-serif typefaces to understand what was needed from the typeface.
Looking over the typefaces, it is clear that the 'Family Magic' in 'lost' and 'poison ivy' looks too young for our target audience. We've looked over the typefaces and decided that in order to pick the typeface for our logo we need to make sure the game name is right first. Otherwise we're worried it won't work with the glyphs that we will use.
To reflect the audience of 8-12 year olds and in response to Rubi's playtest with F, we have created a new name for the project. We played with syntax and changed the vocabulary to align more with the older fantasy audience. We had numerous name considerations playing with the word magic and family. We wanted something that sounded a bit more intriguing. We achieved this when we created "Enchanted Kin" and think that is more reflective of our audience.
Since we last looked at typography, specifically, the name of our game has changed. To reflect this change I have created a conceptual logo. I needed to create something that could be applied across a range of applications whilst also tying together the style and concept of the game. To gain inspiration I looked at a range of logos in the children’s games market via the App Store. With this we found that there was a lot of use of high contrasting, colourful logos which mainly featured characters or game objects. This got me thinking about what we could utilise for the mobile application logo as it is a square container and doesn’t have much room to contain text. Our game doesn’t feature characters as such, however the idea of having pages exploding out of the game object, cauldron was an interesting initial concept. However, looking back at our other design works such as the ingredient cards and their assets, has shown that our game style is somewhere between contemporary and traditional. The bright colours intrigue the 8-12 year old audience whereas the fine line illustrations appeal to the parents. This is something we wanted to get across with the logo.
I found a problem trying to combine the traditional witching theme with something that appeals to contemporary 8-12-year-olds. I ultimately decided to experiment with type and font as our game is narrative driven. This saw me looking at traditional serifs, with some handwritten style pieces. However, these appealed to either an older or younger audience. This resulted in me experimenting with a bold typeface with lots of rotation, it reminded me a lot of contemporary games and by applied an outer glow it demonstrated that magical theme. We think that this text logo could be used on printed material such as the packaging and the front cover of ‘The Book of Secret Spells. To take this forward we need to look at some common forms to see if we can create an image based logo that would be appropriate for the application.